Book Cheap Flights- Save Huge
British Airways has always set the standard high to offer flexible cancellation and refund policies. The airline understands that there could be several reasons passengers will cancel a flight. The airline has made some provisions to address such issues and provide customers with a more lenient British Airways cancellation and refund policy.
British Airways- the flag carrier airline of the United Kingdom, is headquartered in London, UK. It was founded in 1919 as Aircraft Transport and Travel Limited. With a fleet size of 254, British Airways (BA) is the second-largest UK-based airline.
British Airways Cancellation Policy
If a passenger cancels a ticket booked via British Airways’ official website, and the journey is due to be completed by 30th September 2022, you can claim a voucher to the value of your booking, valid for travel until 30th September 2023.
British Airways 24-hour Cancellation Policy
If you made a mistake in your booking after paying for your ticket, you can still cancel the British Airways flight ticket and claim a full refund without penalty. However, to be eligible for that, you must cancel your flight within 24-hours of booking. However, it is advisable to understand the following points before canceling your flight:
- If the flight is canceled within 24 hours of reservation, the airline will not charge any cancellation fee.
- Also, if you cancel your British Airways (BA) flight within 24hours of booking, you are eligible for a full refund if your flight’s departure is at least 7 days later than the time of booking.
- To claim a refund for such a cancellation, you must call the airline’s call center.
- British Airways (BA) has eliminated the cancellation fee for all international and domestic flights, irrespective of their class.
British Airways Cancellation Policy due to Covid-19
Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, British Airways (BA) flight cancellation policy has undergone specific changes. British Airways (BA) had extended its ‘Book with confidence’ policy during the pandemic, under which all existing bookings due to travel by 10 January 2021 could make some changes. However, as the pandemic is getting over, the airline is slowly revoking these policies.
British Airways (BA) Cancellation Policy for refundable and Non-Refundable Ticket
The cancellation policy and the circumstances under which you will be eligible to get a refund depend on various reasons.
- Until the risk-free period, the airline offers a free cancellation of both refundable and non-refundable tickets.
- For non-refundable tickets, the fare rule states that if you cancel a non-refundable ticket, then only the taxes can be refunded under the tax refund.
- There is no uniform cancellation fee or change fee on any British Airways flight.
British Airways (BA)Cancellation Policy For Different Class (Economy, Premium Economy, Business, and First Class)
Economy and Premium Economy Class
- The Economy and Premium Economy ticket holders are not entitled to any refund except for government and airport taxes.
- If you cancel the flight, a refund will be permitted, subject to recalculation of the fare for any journey flown. There will be no cancellation fee.
- You are eligible to make changes in your booking at any time for the difference in fare. However, it is subject to availability.
Business and First Class
- The Business and First Class ticket holders can easily cancel their flight at any time and still can claim a refund.
- The cancellation fee may vary depending on the fare rule.
- Time and date changes are permitted at any time for the difference in fare. However, it is subject to availability.
How to Get Compensation in case of Flight Delay or Cancellation
Airlines do not generally cancel flights unless there is an emergency. Numerous reasons like technical glitches, government orders, and natural calamities may force airlines to cancel their flights suddenly. In such cases, you are eligible for some compensation. In such cases, British Airways (BA) takes full responsibility and compensates the affected passengers.
- In case of flight cancellation by the airline, the compensation remains the same for both domestic and international flights.
- The compensation depends on the number of hours delayed and the number of miles.
- The affected passenger will receive a compensation of around USD 272 if the flight delay is no less than 1500 miles and delays last for three or more than three hours.
- The affected passenger will receive a compensation of around USD 435 if the flight is within the EU and the distance is more than 1500 miles.
- The affected passenger will receive a compensation of around USD 435 if the distance is between 1500-3000 miles.
- The affected passenger will receive a compensation of around USD 652 if the distance is more than 3500 miles.
- Exceptions will be made if the airline offers you an alternative flight.
- If British Airways (BA) informs you about the cancellation at least 7-13 days prior to scheduled departure and your new flight departs upto two hours before the original departure and arrives at your destination within 4 hours.
- If the airline informs you about the cancellation less than 7 days before scheduled departure and your new flight departs up to 1 hour before the original departure time and arrives at your final destination in less than 2 hours.
How to Cancel a British Airways (BA) Flight?
You can easily cancel your British Airways (BA) flight by simply visiting the airline’s official website or at the airport’s ticket counter. To learn how to cancel your booking, read below:
Cancel Flight Ticket Online
- Visit https://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_in/
- Click on ‘Manage’
- Enter booking reference and last name of the passenger and click on ‘Find my Booking’
- Select your flight and cancel the booking
You may have to pay a cancellation fee at this moment. Instead of canceling, you can claim a travel voucher and fly later.
Cancel Flight Offline
- You can either visit the British Airways (BA) counter at the airport or call +1 800 247 9297.
- If you have called the airline’s customer support number, select the language that suits you the best.
- Provide the required information asked by the agent (user name, ticket number, arrival city, and other information to verify your identity).
- Choose the trip you want to cancel.
- Choose a payment method if you have to pay a cancellation fee for British Airways flights.
- The airline will send a confirmation mail regarding the cancellation.
British Airways (BA) Cancellation Fee
If the passenger cancels a flight, they are required to pay a cancellation fee, which depends on various factors. The cancellation fee will be free if the passenger cancels the flight within 24 hours of booking. The fee also depends on the pricing regulation that applies to your booking.
- If your ticket is refundable, then online cancellation is free.
- If you cancel the flight by phone, you must pay USD 25 as a cancellation fee.
- If you cancel the flight at the airport, you must pay USD 35 as a cancellation fee.
- If you have a non-refundable ticket and cancel the flight online, you have to pay USD 10 as a cancellation fee, USD 35 if you cancel the flight online, and USD 35 if you cancel the flight at the airport.
Note: On flights booked on or after March 3, 2020, and the travel date is by April 30, 2022, you can claim a travel voucher as long as you complete your journey by April 30, 2023.
British Airways (BA) Refund Policy
- If British Airways (BA) cancels your flight, the airline will compensate you by either providing you with an alternate flight or refund you completely.
- If you booked your flight via the official website of the British Airways, you can cancel your flight online and apply for a refund. The refundable amount will not include the service fee, which was already paid by you.
- If the airline cancels your flight or denies you boarding, you will either receive a refund or additional assistance like, meal, accommodation, transport from the airport back and forth
- You will be denied any refund, if-
You hold a non-refundable ticket
You canceled the flight after the validity period of the ticket got over
- The refund will be credited to the source of payment within ten days of cancellation.
- If the cancellation occurs due to natural causes, you are entitled to receive a refund.
- You must pay a certain amount as cancellation fee if your ticket is non-refundable and you canceled the flight after 24 hours of booking.
How to Get Refund from British Airways (BA)
There are two ways you can request for a refund- online and offline.
- Visit the official website of British Airways (BA) and go to ‘Customer Service Portal’
- If you have an account, log in with your details or continue as a guest
- Select the box marked Delays, Cancellation, and Diversion
- Follow the prompts to complete the form and then submit
- Call the airline’s customer support number based on your language and region
- Click on the correct button to talk with an agent
- Share the required information with British Airways’’ expert agent
- Request for a refund
British Airways (BA) Customer Support Number for Cancellation and Refund Policy
British Airways (BA) customer support number varies depending on the region you are calling from. Here is a list of the important phone numbers required to cancel your British Airways (BA) flight or claim a refund.
- The USA
To make a new booking or check prices for flights and upgrades – +1 800 247 9297
For refund request for an e-ticket – +1 877 767 7970
- The UK
To make a new booking or check prices for flights and upgrades – 0 344 493 0787
For refund request for an e-ticket – 0 344 493 0787
To make a new booking or check prices for flights and upgrades – 001 866 835 4133
For refund request for an e-ticket – 001 866 835 4133
Can I cancel my British Airways (BA) flight and get a refund?
Yes, You can easily initiate a cancellation request for the flight booked via https://www.britishairways.com/travel/home/public/en_in/, British Airways (BA) Call Center, or airport counters. The cancellation would be applicable on all fares except for Basic and Classic fares, where passengers are not eligible for a refund.
Does Canceling a flight give you a refund?
The refund policy of British Airways (BA) depends on the type of ticket you purchased. If the ticket meets all the requirements, you will receive an amount as refund.
Can I cancel my British Airways (BA) reservation for free within 24hours?
If the passenger cancels his/her booking within 24hours from the date of purchase, they do not have to incur any cancellation fee. However, the departure date must be 7days or more at the time of initiating the cancellation request.
How to get a refund with a non-refundable ticket?
To get a refund for a non-refundable ticket, you must cancel your booking within the specified time. If the passenger fails to initiate the flight booking cancellation within the allotted time frame, then the airline may charge the total ticket fare as a cancellation fee.
Do I get a refund if my flight is canceled?
You are eligible for a refund if the airline fails to provide flight service. However, the refund amount depends on cancellation, destination, technical glitch, and many other reasons.
Can I make a cancellation request on the day of departure?
British Airways (BA) allows you to cancel your booking on the same day of departure. You have to pay a cancellation fee, and the amount will depend on ticket class, reason, and many other factors.
What are the easiest ways to cancel my British Airways (BA) flight ticket?
You can easily cancel your British Airways (BA) flight by visiting the official website of the airline. You can also call the customer support number or visit the airline counter at the airport.
Is it possible to make flight changes on British Airways (BA)?
Yes, British Airways (BA) allows its passengers to make changes in their bookings easily.
What will I do if British Airways (BA) cancels my flight?
In case British Airways (BA) cancels your flight or denies you boarding, the airline compensates for the inconvenience.
Is it cheaper to cancel or change British Airways flights?
The charges for canceling or rescheduling your itinerary with any British Airways flights are almost the same. You can pick the one that suits you the best.
Can I reschedule my British Airways flight?
Once you complete the cancelation process of your previous booked service, you can rebook a new flight any time you want.
How much British Airways will charge me if I change my canceled flight?
British Airways will not charge any fee for changing a flight as long as you are traveling to the same destination.
British Airways Popular Airports
- London Heathrow Airport Flights
- John F Kennedy International Airport Flights
- Chicago O’hare International Airport Flights
- Dallas Fort Worth International Airport Flights
- London Gatwick Airport Flights
- Philadelphia International Airport Flights
Popular routes of the British Airways airlines
- London to New York City (LON to NYC)
- London to Chicago (LON to CHI)
- London to Dallas (LON to DAL)
- London to Tirana (LON to TIA)
- London to Istanbul (LON to IST)